How are different social classes portrayed?
- Nairn- monarchy rarely criticised
- Upper and middle class portrayed positively.
- Newman- media give lots of column space to wealthy elite.
- Middle class are overrepresented. Media aimed at this group and most employees in media are M.C
- Newman- Working class are portrayed as a problem-welfare cheats, criminals etc
- Curran and Seaton- press assume working class are not interested in current affairs.
- Press rarely highlight poverty or struggles in society (McKendrick)
- Marxists argue that the media wrongly celebrate wealth and hierarchy
- Recent criticism –too much upper class on TV e.g. Downton Abbey, Mr Selfridge etc.
- Support from recent Guardian article- Are TV sitcoms too middle class?
- Support for negativity from sensationalism= moral panics.
- More programmes on working class today- Shameless, Skint, Benefits street.
- However… are these positive?
- Working class are less likely to complain about representation.