Features of new media:
- Convergence- several technologies into one device
- Compression- send many signals through the same cable.
- Interactivity – Respond in real time to user input
New media usage trends:
- Boyle – a clear generational divide exists with younger people more likely to use new media.
- Seaton- global differences & economic inequalities affect new media usage.
- Haste -Gender divide is apparent with phone use. Differences between calls and texts.
- A class divide exists with money affecting whether individuals can access the internet and purchase devices.
Debates on New media:
- The internet provides increased consumer choice
- Democracy is encouraged as everyone can share their opinion.
- E-commerce/online shopping helps industry.
- Increased communication with online tools helping families, businesses, friends etc.
Cultural Pessimists (Cornford and Robins):
- Domination/ media concentration (Jenkins) is harmful to businesses
- Reinforcing elite power due to media concentration
- Increased surveillance e.g. cookies.
- Decline in quality of culture (Harvey)
- Lack of regulation can lead to trolling, hacking etc.
Useful reading on new media debates: Revision World
Test yourself on these key terms: Memrise new media key concepts